Swedish Party Food: Smörgastarta

As I plan a holiday in Sweden I was looking up some traditional recipes. Not an easy task if you do  not speak swedish. At least I found something very interesting: The swedish Smörgastarta. It is a "Sandwich Cake" and it seems that everyone in Sweden knows it. It's really easy to prepare and it tastes good after remaining in the refrigerator for a day. So it is the ideal party food.




Swedish people use whipped cream and mayonnaise. I did it differently and created a healthy and tasty version of it. Be creative - just use whatever you like. And here is how it works:
  • Prepare a basic spread. I used a can of chickpeas (purréed) and yoghurt, garlic, salt and pepper. To make it taste better I added one tablespoon of mayonnaise.
  • Split the spread in three portions. Add whatever you like to two of the portions. I prepared one portion with arugula and fresh oregano. The second portion was with very small cut cubes of tomato. The third portion remains the way it is.
  • Spread four slices of toast (cut away the edges before) in one layer. Put the spread on top of the layer and prepare a second layer with four slices of toast. Now you put on the second spread and prepare another layer of bread.
  • In the end you use your basic spread and coat the complete thing with it. Decorate with cucumber, olives, sausages, cheese, shrimps or whatever you like.
If you like to see an original recipe, look it up here: http://www.squidoo.com/smorgastarta.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog!
    http://www.empowernetwork.com/techitmore/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from sweden but live in the US and haven't been eating smorgastarta for sooooooooooooo long , now you making me drool :P its so yummi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you like it! I loved it the minute I first saw it in sweden.

      Delete